NEW RESIDENTS RELOCATING FROM OUT-OF-STATE: Note: New Hampshire allows new residents only 60 days to change over driver’s licenses and/or motor vehicle registrations
- Present to the Town Clerk’s Office documentation from the closing of your home (ie. HUD statement), OR, if renting, you must present one (1) of the following: a lease or notarized written statement from the current property owner confirming your residency.
- If your vehicle is less than fifteen (15) years old, present your out-of-state TITLE (a copy is not acceptable), OR, if your vehicle IS fifteen (15) years old or more , present a copy of your title from out of state, or a New Hampshire Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) verification form (19a).
- If your title is currently held by an out-of-state lienholder or leasing company and your registration and insurance are still valid contact your lienholder or leasing company directly and inform them that you have moved to NH that way they will prepare the proper paperwork needed to make it a smoother transaction.
NH is a ‘title state’, and as such, any existing title must be surrendered at the time of registration. Again, it must be the actual title, a photocopy is NOT sufficient. The Town Clerk’s Office is not authorized to make request for a title on your behalf. It must be made by the NH Title Bureau. Present your out-of-state registration and the lienholder or leasing company’s name and mailing address. Also, please jot down your current mileage so we can prepare a NH title application for a fee of $2 for the Town and $25 for the State. Upon receipt, they will request your title from your lienholder or leasing company.
Once the title is received at the Bureau’s office, a notice will be sent to you authorizing the Town Clerk’s office to issue your registration and plates. If you have any questions, or if your notification is taking longer than expected, then please contact the Title Bureau at 603-271-3111 or 603-271-3112. Make sure to bring the letter of notification in to the Town Clerk’s Office that the State sends you. Please note that the letter from the State is a little confusing so please have patience. This is a process which can take up to several weeks.
- If your insurance or registration has already expired, or will expire within the next twenty (20) days, please bring to the Town Clerk’s Office your current out-of- state registration and your insurance showing the proof of expiration, along with the lienholder or leasing company’s name and mailing address you will qualify for a “Hardship Registration”.<
We will prepare a NH title application and registration, and collect your town registration taxes. You will then be directed to the Salem Motor Vehicle Sub-station, where you will pay your registration fees for the State. Salem will issue a sixty (60) day temporary plate, and at some point during that time, upon receipt of your out-of-state title, Concord Motor Vehicle will forward your metal plates directly to you.
NH RESIDENTS RELOCATING TO WINDHAM:
- Same as #1 above.
- We will provide you with a change of address card, which you must complete and forward to the Division of Motor Vehicles within ten (10) days of moving.
- If you do not receive a renewal notice from the Town of Windham for your vehicle, or if your renewal is due the month you move to Town, you must present to the Clerk’s Office your expiring registration from your previous town of residence. If you do not have your registration, you must obtain a copy from the town where it was issued prior to obtaining a renewal with the Town of Windham.
- NEW VEHICLE REGISTRATIONS: Registration fees paid to the Town of Windham are based on the Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) when the vehicle was new. The MSRP is taken from the “Red Book” published by National Market Reports. The same book is used state-wide, and all taxes are calculated from the same, state-regulated tables. Current year vehicles are taxed at $18.00/thousand for the first year. The rate is then reduced by $3.00/thousand per year until the vehicle is six (6) years old. At that time, the rate remains at $3.00/thousand. The State registration fee is based on the gross vehicle weight (GVW). You may calculate the estimated costs of your registration by clicking here.
The Town Clerk cannot register a new vehicle for less than five (5) months, nor more than sixteen (16). A resident who comes to the office in July, and whose birthday falls in November would register for five (5) months. The same registration processed in August would run for sixteen (16) months.
TRANSFERRING VEHICLES: When transferring license plates to a newly purchased vehicle, please bring the paperwork for the new vehicle (Certificate of Origin or title) as well as the prior (current) registration from the vehicle being replaced. Please remember that your license plates and registration are your property and responsibility, and should remain in your possession after the sale or trade-in of any vehicle.
RENEWING VEHICLES: Vehicle registrations expire on the last day of the owner’s birth month, except in the case of a company owned or leased vehicle. In this case, the expiration date is determined by the first letter of the company name. The Town of Windham forwards registration reminders to vehicle owners, however, it is the registrant’s responsibility to renew the vehicle in the event of lost or misdirected mail. Registrations being renewed by mail must include a self-addressed stamped envelope in order to avoid mailing delays. There is no grace period on expired registrations. If you would like to receive your renewal notice by e-mail, please complete this form and send to the Town Clerk's Office
Please note that you MUST bring in either a previous registration OR the renewal reminder that we sent out, as per RSA 261:148#4 staff can no longer look up your plate number or your name for renewal purposes. If you cannot find any previous registrations for that vehicle or the mailer that we sent, you will have to purchase a duplicate registration for $15.00 and then we will use that to renew your vehicle
You also have the opportunity to register your vehicle online with the Town Clerks’ Office. Please follow the link at the top of the page to complete your registration. Please be prepared to be asked your vehicle information as well as your bank information.